About Me

My photo
lifelong learner, online learning coordinator, social studies online teacher, adjunct instructor, case monitor, technology integrationist, alternative high school teacher, mom, abstract random, orange, ENTP-A, ideation, input, includer, stratgic, command...

Friday, May 28, 2010

Graduation

2010 Graduation is over and done with. Walnut Creek Campus graduated 77 students that would have otherwise been labeled a drop out in our state's statistics. These kids have survived living conditions that "normal" families only watch on tv. We had a very large percentage of teenage parents, students working full time to support parents that had lost their job, some are recovering from addiction and attending daily AA and NA meetings, as well as abused, neglected, abandoned and self-harmers. These kids amaze me every day with their resiliency. I don't know if I would have the same tenacity to show up at school every day and continue working as they do on a daily basis. They teach me the true meaning of dedication and the power of a dream. Most of the students are first generation high school graduates and many are planning on attending college now that they have succeeded in their high school goals and know that there is more out there.

I don't know if I could ever teach at a traditional high school. I need to know my students on a personal level, I could never see them as just a number. I am not judging traditional school systems, teachers that have 30 kids a class could never get to know their kids on a personal level. It is survival to just give them a number and teach them all the same way. I am just so lucky to be where I am. I get to know every one of my students. I get to be on a first name basis with all their parents, celebrating the successes and working past the mistakes. I get to completely individualize everything I am teaching for each student and make it meaningful to their life. I have the best job a teacher could ever have and in my opinion the best students any teacher could ever ask for.

No, I do not believe all schools need to be this way. There are a very large majority of students that have a supportive family, food, shelter and love outside of school that just need the school for education. But, we do need some kind of alternative out there for that minority of students that need school to be a safe, supportive and loving family. I am so happy that I am where I am and doing what I am doing. I am my students' "school mama" and loving every minute of it.

5 comments:

  1. Carrie,
    This is a good reflection on your life and perspectives. You are definitely making a big difference in students' lives. Being a School Mama is the one your students will remember.

    Z
    BTW, it would be useful to add a hyperlink to points of interest (i.e., Walnut Creek Campus) to make it easier for your readers to learn more about your points of interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie, your descriptions are heartwarming, and your students are blessed to have you for a teacher! It must be super-rewarding for you to see them receive their diploma and to know that you played a huge role in their success. You're already a role model, and the fact that you're enrolled in a master's program will illustrate to your students the importance of lifelong learning. Bravo, Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very glad you are on this planet, Carrie. Yay, you!! Please keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just graduated over 370 "normal" students. (someone define what normal means anymore.) It does feel good to have that moment, for us as teachers, for the parents, for the community, and obviously for the students. I know that the community appreciates your efforts - Cedar Rapids Metro High School is very similar to yours, and the fact that they graduate kids that would otherwise be dropouts is always appreciated. Congratulations - you did it for another year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is there such a thing as "normal" anymore? That is a great discussion to have with students. They give me normal and I play devil's advocate bringing out all our abnormalities. Very fun to see those light bulbs go off as they realize normal is in the eye of the beholder. I have worked with people from Metro it is a great school!

    Thanks all for the words of support and encouragement!

    ReplyDelete