Using iPad Apps in an Alternative School
Teaching at an alternative school is a very unique experience and something that I was not taught how to do in my pre-service teaching classes. As an alternative school teacher, we create our classroom curriculum and environment using the UDL model, I just never realized there was an actual model...it was just how we all chose to teach. As we plan our curriculum, we constantly focus on the "what, why and how" of learning, making sure we offer as many options as possible. There is a common misconception that alternative means easier, but I believe that it is actually harder because there is no easy way out. Students are not allowed to slide by with the bare minimum requirements, passing with a D- and taking zeroes on missing assignments. They are required to obtain at least a C and are not allowed to settle for a zero on any assignment. Since we have smaller classes, we get to take the time to learn how our students learn and individualize each assignment to fit their learning style, so it seems easier to the student. They do not realize that they are learning the same information that they failed in with the traditional model because it is taught tailored to them. Technology makes this individualized curriculum goal even easier to obtain, especially with the availability of iPads in the classroom. The following apps seem like they would be useful in an alternative environment:
Calculator that allows the user to see their calculations line by line. They can see a mistake and change that one line, rather than having to start over. Allows for learners that struggle to follow step by step directions to see the steps rather than just in their head. This will also help a learner that struggles with math concepts. They get very frustrated when they do not get the right answer and have to start the whole problem over again. With this app, they can see the problem and redo from that point, learning from their mistakes rather than just seeing it as wrong.
The requirement to dissect animals in Biology caused my grade to drop from an A to a C in high school and from talking to our students, they had the same experiences. For me, it had nothing to do with morals, but more about not wanting to touch the inside of anything living. This iPad app levels that playing field. Students get the same learning experience without having to physically smell the formaldehyde and touch the organs. Students that like to do the dissections can still complete the actual task but this could be an option.
AudioNote--Notepad and Voice Recorder
App with the ability to record drawing or handwritten notes, along with audio recording. User can export their notes to email. This could be a very helpful app for students that need the kinestethic process of writing or drawing to take their notes or an audio student that needs to say/hear the information as they study.
Social bookmarking app that allows users to collect, organize, store and share information from the Internet as a graphic web organizer. Would work best with visual learners that get lost in all the words on their bookmarks lists and help students research, save and share information in a group project.
An option for students as an assessment piece, project, etc. Students can upload their own pictures or pictures from the web, edit text, and publish in iBooks. Books can be emailed, published to iTunes, or saved in Dropbox.
Teachers can record voice-over interactive whiteboard tutorials and share them online. This would be optimal for students that struggle with health issues and miss a lot of class. The teacher can email their saved tutorials and students can watch them on their own time, rather than taking the teachers time outside or inside the classroom. Students can also use the tutorials in the flipped classroom model.
Students can touch any word on web pages or documents or copy and paste it into the app and it will speak or translate the words. It will translate/read whole web pages. Helpful for students that struggle to read long texts and need it read out loud to fully comprehend. Takes the stigmata away from reading out loud.
Digital notebook, that includes a web browser with a reading list, translator and drawing tool. Students can keep notes from the web, draw pictures, store their notes, blog, etc. then can save their work and share to dropbox, twitter, tumblr, facebook, etc.
National Archives--Today's Document
One critical aspect of teaching social studies is to teach primary versus secondary sources. The National Archives has an extensive number of sources available online for students to use, the problem is they do not realize the importance of those documents or their impact to history. This app gives the student a quick look at a primary document and the tools to analyze that document. This would be helpful in any social studies classroom as an extension to the textbook.
Students can create their own graphic novel from provided templates. They can upload their own photos, add word balloons, and fun effect symbols. When the story is complete, they can be emailed to teacher/friends and uploaded to various social networking sites. This would be another took for a visual learner that struggles to put complex sentences together. They can graphically create the sentence and then use their novel as a guide for their writing.

OK, Carrie, I think I have finally figured out how to post a comment. I had been going through IE, but looked that up and saw there were several known problems with commenting. So, now, I am in Firefox and it looks as if it will work!
ReplyDeleteAnyway, thanks for all of your great app ideas. I worked on the same assignment, and I believe the only one we have in common is AudioNote. Just goes to show how many awesome apps are available! Having worked in the elementary education arena for several years, I had never before thought about the impact of apps on those in an alternative high school setting. I'm sure the apps can engage and encourage students in that situation, as well as any others! I was especially intrigued with the Soulver calculator, as I could see myself benefiting from this app when balancing my checkbook. Also, with the line of work I am in, the National Archive app caught my attention. And, it's even free to boot. I'll definitely be sharing that with others. Thanks, again, Carrie! Sara R.
I found it interesting that we only had one iPad app in common. It speaks to the number of apps that are available. I also think it is neat to see many of the "UDL" apps were not original designed for UDL use, but have been used and recommended as such. Some great apps here that I will definitely be adding to my iPad.
ReplyDeleteGreat list of apps, Carrie--wish I had time to try them all out! I appreciate your comments about the alternative school environment too. It reminded me of a statement about the need for UDL that I ran across while I was doing my own research: "If I only teach the way I learn, I’m going to miss too many people."
ReplyDeleteI was thinking the same thing as I read through all the posts on iPad apps, there are just so many out there it was interesting that we each found different ones. I love that quote Deb! It is so true and something that I consider on a daily basis in my classroom.
ReplyDeleteSara, my students ran into the same issue with IE as we starting our blogging this year. We finally all switched to Firefox and I continue to use Chrome. Our district only allowed the students to download Firefox. Issues with commenting ended with the switch!
ReplyDelete