A seemingly simple question that should have a seemingly simple answer........I could say NO, I am still teaching the same students, I clean the same house, I complete the same daily chores and routines. But also, I could say YES, it changed me in ways that I am still discovering. It changed my family, it changed my students, and it changed my co-workers; our perception of the world has changed dramatically. China is no longer a picture or words on a piece of paper, it is a place that I seen, smelled, touched, tasted, and felt. I now understand more about the Chinese culture than any movie or book could have ever shown me.
Yes, it was an amazing life-changing experience. Because of this experience, my students have a better understanding of Chinese culture, my children (ages 6 & 3) know of this new and exciting world (probably in their mind, a lot like the North Pole because I came home with so many gifts for them) and now they want to visit China. I have been able to lay to rest Chinese stereotypes with all my friends and family by showing my pictures and talking about my experiences. Where do I go from here?

Yes, Carrie. Travels like this affect us in some ways that appear immediately, but your memories of the experience and questions about what else is possible based upon your experiences will continue to "pop up" for the rest of your life.
ReplyDeleteZ